Lights Out: English Art-Song
$9.49 – $12.99Available 18 August, 2017
The long and vibrant tradition of art-song in England has seen many great composers from Finzi to Vaughan Williams, Gurney to Moeran and Warlock and countless more, supported for many years now by the English Poetry and Song Society.
This is the fourth of four albums of live EPSS concert performances made by Dunelm for private use and now on general release due to demand; it contains works by major composers and several talented members of the EPSS, some of whom have recently become much better known and successful. Based around music by Ivor Gurney, E.J. Moeran and Sulyen Caradon, the recital is wide ranging and a fine demonstration of English art-song.
These EPSS recordings were made on portable recording equipment and with less than ideal microphone placement and are not to our usual modern standard. However they contain fine performances and many very unfamiliar and exquisite songs, which will delight any lover of late-Romantic vocal music.
- Birthday Song
- If music be the food of love
- The Dancer
- Loveliest of Trees
- Dorian Dirge
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 1 Evening
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 2 – Poplars
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 3 – A Cottager
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 4 – The Dustman
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 5 – Lullaby
- Six Songs of Seamus O’Sullivan – No. 6 – The Herdsman
- Salley Gardens
- All night under the moon
- Severn meadows
- None of the clock, O
- Little Vagabond
- The Smile
- Acacia Tree
- Margaret’s Song
- Lights Out – I. Scents
- Lights Out – II. Bright Clouds
- Lights Out – III. Penny Whistle
- Lights Out – IV. Will you come?
- Lights Out – V. Lights Out
- O Lovely England