Enchantment – music for flute and piano
Kenneth Smith is principal flute of the Philharmonia Orchestra, and also has a busy solo career; for many years he has partnered pianist Paul Rhodes, in a duo which has gained an enviable reputation for quality in both the concert hall and on recordings. The duo’s first CD for Divine Art features a glorious programme of French romantic music*.
Supplied in a high quality digipak. Cover art: from “Paris by Night” by the esteemed artist Nina Mikhailenko.
* We know Franck was Belgian – but he was also a Francophone, and spent much time in Paris.
- I. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Allegro malincolico (4:55)
- II. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Cantilena (4:27)
- III. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Presto Giocoso (3:49)
- Danse pour une Deesse (2:17)
- L’Enchanteur (2:49)
- I. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Tres modere (6:31)
- II. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Tres lent (5:28)
- III. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Assez vif (4:44)
- I. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Allegretto (4:23)
- II. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Andante (1:55)
- III. Sonatine for Flute and Piano − Animé (4:16)
- I. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Allegro ben moderato (6:47)
- II. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Allegro (8:54)
- III. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Recitativo fantasia (7:32)
- IV. Sonata for Flute and Piano − Allegretto poco mosso (7:19)
Playing so ravishing that I need… to find new superlatives. Simply beautiful… greatest virtuosity… terrific performance” —Robert Bigio
A special feel for sonorous beauty…absolutely ravishing… always very expressive and adapting to the different colours of the pieces, in perfect taste and without any excess: this disc is a true enchantment!” —Marcel Louis